In and around the small village of Sobhan, Dar and I work with a growing group of committed Cambodians to offer hope and real opportunities to poor and desperate people who are struggling to live from day to day.

Monday, October 18, 2010

The End of the Day

I'm a night person. So is Dar.

When I walk up the marble stairs to bed earlier than normal, it's likely due to one of three reasons:

-- a middle of the night (here) game, perhaps Packers
-- I have a headache
-- I'm frustrated with something, perhaps farming

Tonight is a slightly different reason. I want to get up to follow the live Apple earnings report on the internet, at 4:00 am in Cambodia.

I told you, I like Apple. Currently, they represent the bulk of our retirement fund. And they need to increase a bit so we (I) can purchase their next 'toy.'

Our good friend, Mary, was over a couple days ago. She commented, as usual, on the 'toys' she saw scattered around our office. "Oh well, they're all just tools," she concluded.

One more Apple tool will board an EVA flight from LA later this week, in the pocket or carry-on bag of friends coming from Hope Chapel, in Manhattan Beach, California. The group has come every October for  eight straight years. They work out at Jumpah for the better part of two weeks.  They bring solar panels, tooth brushes, medicines, children's toys, power tools, craft supplies and more.

Oh, and this year, they will bring the latest iPod Touch with HD video. Hey it's a tool. You should be seeing some pics / video on this blog real soon.

Back to the Hope team -- Tom, Kathy, Dolly and another Kathy have come every year. Tom works on a variety of maintenance and building projects. Kathy leads a bunch of ladies in various craft activities. Dolly and the other Kathy lead the children's activities. This year Greg and Wendy will come and offer dental services to our staff families and to some of the poorer families in the village. Of course, all of us will enjoy some time shopping in the Russian Market and scurrying about town in tuk tuks!

They (it) arrive on Friday. I can hardly wait. I'm going upstairs. Good night.

1 comment: